When looking for the perfect Christmas tree this year, be “green” and start at your local Christmas tree farm.
Christmas tree farms grow a completely renewable and recyclable resource, which contains no petroleum products and leaves a negligible carbon footprint. A natural tree is 100 percent biodegradable, in stark contrast to artificial trees made from plastic and various metals.
Many people don’t think about where plastics—and therefore artificial trees—come from. Plastic is made with petroleum products. Lead is another ingredient in PVC (polyvinyl chloride) plastic and other metals. Plastic trees don’t biodegrade and chances are they’ve traveled a long way, leaving a huge carbon footprint to get to retail stores. About 85 percent of them start in China, but they will end up sitting in American landfills for centuries.
Natural trees from local tree farms are completely recyclable and are close to home. While they grow, trees absorb carbon dioxide and other gases and emit fresh oxygen. Christmas trees are often grown on soil that doesn’t support other crops, and their root systems serve to stabilize soil, protect area water quality and provide refuge for wildlife. Grown on farms, one to three new seedlings are planted for every tree harvested to ensure a constant supply.
For those who already have an artificial tree or are prohibited from having a real tree indoors because of allergies, using natural wreaths and garland outside the home is a good way to minimize use of plastics.
After the holidays, cut trees and other natural décor can be delivered to a local receiving site to be turned into mulch for area trails. Balled and burlapped live trees are replanted once the holidays are over. Tree farmers are happy to give tips on planting and care. Here are Christmas tree care tips.
Finding nearby Christmas tree farms in Tennessee is easy with the free Pick Tennessee mobile app. Pick Tennessee mobile app users can quickly locate farms, then use GPS mapping for directions. Visit www.picktnproducts.org to download the app or to see a statewide directory of Tennessee Christmas tree farms.
Here is a list of Christmas tree farms in Sevier County and surrounding counties:
- Wilson Glyn Christmas Tree Farm – (865) 436-2590, 950 Wilson Hollow Way, Sevierville, TN, 37876
- Bakers Creek Tree Farm – (865) 856-4042, 409 Henry Lane, Greenback, TN, 37742
- Vol Firs – (865) 850-3824, Retail sales at Foothills Farmer’s Co-op, 1514 W Broadway Ave, Maryville, TN 37801
- Hicks Nursery and Christmas Trees – (423) 487-4001, 2491 Green Road, Cosby, TN, 37722
- House Mountain Christmas Tree Farm – (865) 687-0324, 6300 Childs Road, Corryton, TN, 37721
- Tennessee Products LLC – (865) 660-6726, Retail sales at 6100 Kingston Pk, Knoxville, TN, 37919
- TNT Tree Farm – (865) 932-0658, 8237 Millertown Pike, Knoxville, TN, 37924
- Valley Farms – (865) 740-0193, 1104 West Raccoon Valley Road, Heiskell, TN, 37754
- White Pine Acres – (865) 690-0289, 3630 Copper Ridge Road, Knoxville, TN, 37931
Be sure to call ahead to confirm hours of operation and availability.