Google+
Home / Local / Sevierville Greenway Connector to be Done by Year’s End
Do you like Sevier News Messenger?
Sevierville Greenway Connector to be Done by Year's End

Sevierville Greenway Connector to be Done by Year’s End

The City of Sevierville Department of Parks and Recreation announced that work will commence this week on the Phase II of the Sevierville Greenway Project, which connects two existing greenways. Surveying work began Thursday, Sept. 15, 2016.

The Phase II project will connect the greenway on Eastgate Road that currently ends at the New Salem Baptist Church with the greenway on Middle Creek Road at Sunrise Circle and Veterans Boulevard. The greenway will be a 10-foot wide multi-use trail for pedestrians and bicyclists.

See a map of the Sevierville Greenway

The project cost is approximately $521,000; 80% is federal funding and the remaining 20% is local funding. The construction contract was awarded to local business Charles Blalock and Sons. It was originally funded by TDOT in 1998, however numerous challenges and obstacles halted the construction and funding was subsequently lost.

“We thank our City staff for their perseverance in seeing this project come to fruition,” said Sevierville Mayor Bryan Atchley. “When completed, our residents will be able to enjoy a greenway that stretches from downtown Sevierville to Pigeon Forge.”

The estimated completion date is Dec. 31, 2016. For additional information, please contact Director of Parks and Recreation Bob Parker at 865-868-1896.

About Submitted Report

These are articles or announcements submitted to the Sevier News Messenger by individuals, businesses, agencies or organizations. If you have news to share, please submit it through our Contact Page.